In 2019, we commenced our newly designed seminars for Senior Officers to provide information and training on latest company and industry updates, as well as encourage closer and more personal exchange of information and feedback between the sea going and shore-based management teams.
At the time of publication, five seminars have been conducted in Ukraine and three in the Philippines, with a total of over 250 participants.“This creates an ideal atmosphere for our Senior officers and Manning agencies, as well as representatives from the Limassol head office to get together, learn more about each other and promote proactive and valuable interaction in all areas of operations,” explained General Manager, Marlow Navigation, Captain Alfred von der Hoeh. “Despite the many technologies and channels for communication available, you simply cannot replace the benefits of direct and personal contact.”
Key topics covered during these seminars include:
- Latest industry and company developments, as well as providing updates on recent policies and current priorities
- General exchange of information and feedback from the vessels – improving connection between seafarers and shore-based staff
- Common problems on board and emphasising areas where improvement is expected
- Incidents at sea and response procedures
- Crew evaluations, requirements and reporting procedures
- Crew training and mentoring
- Maritime resource management, and
- Media and social media awareness and handling
The Senior Officer Seminar initiative was first introduced in Ukraine in 2007. Due to its success, it was rolled out to other agencies around the world, developing into a well-established and highly responsive event on the Marlow training agenda.
“These seminars help further enrich the relationship and trust between our people at sea and ashore, which is no doubt pivotal for safer and successful operations. They are an investment that further improves our crew management services by streamlining and enhancing efforts of ship and shore-based staff,” concluded Captain von der Hoeh.
Some feedback from Participants
“Direct contact gives possibility for both sides easy and clear understanding of hidden problems”
“Great opportunity for communication with office and colleagues in live informal atmosphere. I received a lot of useful information and answers”
“Interactive, realistic examples. Very good structure and well organised”
More seminars are planned for 2020 for all our major recruiting locations.